Starting a new blog can be exhilarating! With a new blog, you get a personal authority on the world wide web. However, developing a blog is tougher than one anticipates. There are so many decisions to be made before you can make your website live. The most important decision about your blog that you’d need to make is what kind of web hosting service to choose.
Web hosting is an umbrella concept, under which various kinds of hosting is housed. You can choose to share an internet server, or have a dedicated server, or consider VPS hosting, or maybe Cloud web hosting. Feel your mind-boggling yet? Well, this is just the beginning.
However, if you’re reading this article, chances are you have narrowed down your options to VPS and Cloud Web hosting, but there’s a tie between the two. This article will be the tiebreaker! We have mapped out the advantages and disadvantages of both kinds of hosting and signed off by concluding which one is better. Let’s dive into it.
VPS hosting is perfect for bloggers who desire their own private space in the public arena of the world wide web unlike shared web hosting. However, an entirely dedicated space can be expensive. Thus, a Virtual Private Network gives you a middle ground. In VPS hosting, there is a physical server that is classified into numerous virtual servers, which have their own dedicated spaces.
These dedicated spaces are allotted to the bloggers, who are provided with storage, bandwidth, and resources to function their website on the internet. In this web hosting, you get the freedom to customize, design, and manage your website without much external interference.
However, this freedom is only limited as it is not an entirely dedicated server. The major drawback of this kind of hosting is that in case the physical server experiences breakdown, all the virtual servers attached to it will halt functioning as well. Thus, the chain effects of VPS hosting are haunting.
Pros of VPS Hosting
- The website can be customized: From designing the site to personalizing one’s own needs, everything can be done on a VPS server
- Installation of all kinds of software: Since VPS hosting allows you immeasurable freedom, you are at the liberty to install all kinds of software and plugins for your site’s efficient management.
- Performance boost: While in other kinds of hosting traffic and the density of the audience plays a massive role in determining the performance of your site, VPS hosting eliminates this criterion.
- Safe & Secure blogging: All the files, documents, images, and videos on a VPS server are safe and secure from hacking or manipulation. These files cannot be accessed either by the service provider or anybody else on the internet.
Cons of VPS Hosting
- Not a scalable option: VPS hosting providers furnishes you with a specific number of resources. If you wish to expand your site or boost its growth, the VPS server will not co-operate and crash if it experiences overload. Thus, if you wish to grow in the long-run, VPS hosting is not the best option out there.
- Hostinger : Cheap & Best VPS Hosting : Read Complete Review here
- Bluehost : Easy to Migrate to VPS from Shared Hosting : Review
- Hostgator : Leading Brand with best customer support : Review
- A2Hosting : Best VPS Hosting
Cloud-based hosting is similar to VPS hosting as it is different. While in VPS hosting you are provided with a single virtual server that is linked with a parent physical server, in cloud-based hosting, you get resources rendered by several physical servers. With so many physical servers powering up your site, you get an astronomical number of resources and the best VPS hosting as well.
The best feature of this service is that, even if the traffic on your site increases tremendously, your website will not experience lag or crashing. This is because, in cloud hosting, several servers are linked together in a cluster. If one cloud server overloads with traffic, the new entrees are relocated to the next cloud server that has available space. Therefore, with this service provider, you get to manage your site with countless resources and for a countless number of people!
Pros of Cloud-based Hosting
- More Reliable: Due to the cluster of physical servers, this provider can be relied upon for high uptime and entertaining countless visitors.
- Highly scalable: Unlike VPS hosting which isn’t a scalable option, cloud-based can provide a long-term solution to all blogging and e-trading needs.
- Highly secure: You can rest easy knowing that all the files and docs uploaded on the server of cloud hosting are safe and secure from the intrusion of any kind of party.
Cons of Cloud-based Hosting
- Limited customization: The customization of this option, unlike VPS hosting, is limited due to the spread of physical servers.
VPS vs Cloud Hosting – Which one is better?
In a nutshell, cloud-hosting is a far better option than VPS hosting due to innumerable reasons, foremostly scalability.
Needless to say, if you publish a website today, you would want it to run perpetually, right? Nobody creates a website with no intention of developing it more and more. If you want your website to flourish on the world wide web for a long time, cloud-based hosting is your best solution.
It is a highly scalable option vis-à-vis VPS. However, if you are someone who desires more control over scalability, then VPS is your pal. With quick and vast prospects of customization, VPS sweeps the personalization price. So, what’s the tiebreaker? The traffic! Regardless of who you are, what your needs are, and what kind of a website you have, every blogger desires a massive audience. The more the merrier. This is where Cloud hosting triumphs over VPS. Clod-hosting does not get impacted by an influx of visitors; however, VPS will experience a setback, even frequent crashes. Although, it ultimately boils down to your personal needs and your budget.